The Żeliszów Kościół zabytkowy (Żeliszów Historical Church in Polish) or The Pearl of Żeliszów is located in Gmina Bolesławiec in south-western Poland. This area once was a part of Germany and known as Giersdorf.
First of all, this Protestant church was built in 1796 by architect Carl Gotthard Langhans. He was a Prussian master builder and royal architect. The church was designed in Neoclassical architecture.
It has also been slowly receiving renovations over the past decade, the roof has been replaced and windows boarded up and the foundation inspected.
The Pearl of Żeliszów
It was styled in an elliptical shape and measures 66 by 98 feet. The bell tower was added in 1872 by architect Peter Gansel using bolesławiecki sandstone. It has multiple floors that go around in a circle with delightful banisters.
Above all, it was dubbed The Pearl of Żeliszów, as it survived the Second World War. It was abandoned after this area became a part of Poland in 1946. Dereliction and abandonment of many places occurred after World War II.
Decay set in rapidly due to the fact that no one was left to care for it. Also, the inside has almost been completely destroyed from the elements. Once filled with an upper balcony, pews and arching windows all of that is now gone.
Furthermore, as it becomes re-modified it is slated to be used as an arena for cultural events, concert, films and photo-shoots. The roof has now been replaced. More renovations continue to the ruins of this great church. Lastly, it lies 62 miles from Wrocław.
Where is this beautiful church located? You can find this church using these coordinates. 51.187978, 15.635744.
Featured image by Aneta / Wikimedia Commons.
Image 2 by Groundhopping Mersburg / Flickr.
Photo 3 vintage photograph from before it was abandoned in the later 1940’s from twojedziedzictwo.
Final image from Google Maps Street View.
See more like this under Churches!