keyboard_arrow_right
Poland
Poland

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital – Polish Psychiatric

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital – Polish Psychiatric

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital is a decaying historical landmark. History has impacted this village. Furthermore, over 1,100 patients were murdered from here in 1939.

Certainly, the second World War was fraught with unspeakable acts. Ominous and dark halls are now what remains, a reminder of the past.

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

28 mass graves were dug for the bodies. Later, gassing at the Fort VII; (Konzentrationslager Posen) death camp run by Nazi Germany became the fate of the remaining patients from Owińska Mental Hospital. 78 children were among this group. Aktion was the name for the second stage, which was removing the remaining patients to the camp.

Hospital staff is said to have not known what was happening. Afterwards the mental hospital was turned into barracks for SS soldiers.

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

The building itself dates back further, having been built in 1839.

In 1944, part of the buildings were destroyed as an effect of the War. The hospital never reopened.

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

Doors with an ornate design can be seen above. It is unclear how old the doors are.

Also, photos courtesy of Zuzanna Kazmierczak from a previous article.

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

Columns in a room with large windows. Textures floors and high ceilings.

Some more recent ish reports of this place in say that the basements were completely flooded in pools. Others state some sort of renovations from owner. It does seem that in more recent years extra windows have been boarded up, as a result.

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

The walls are sloughing away. Peeling back bit by bit. Possibly from layers of paint or due to exposure from weather. Many windows have just been boarded up through time. Also, the hospital has been utterly abandoned for over 20 years.

In the late 2000s eary 2010s these buildings were purchased.

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

Finally, where is this hospital located? You can find it with these coordinates in Poznań County. 52.511760, 16.980542

Abandoned Owińska Mental Hospital

Browse more hospitals.

Poland

The Pearl of Żeliszów – Abandoned Protestant Church

Pearl of Żeliszów

The Żeliszów Kościół zabytkowy (Żeliszów Historical Church in Polish) or The Pearl of Żeliszów is located in Gmina Bolesławiec in south-western Poland. This area once was a part of Germany and known as Giersdorf.

Pearl of Żeliszów

First of all, this Protestant church was built in 1796 by architect Carl Gotthard Langhans. He was a Prussian master builder and royal architect. The church was designed in Neoclassical architecture.

It has also been slowly receiving renovations over the past decade, the roof has been replaced and windows boarded up and the foundation inspected.

Pearl of Żeliszów

The Pearl of Żeliszów

It was styled in an elliptical shape and measures 66 by 98 feet. The bell tower was added in 1872 by architect Peter Gansel using bolesławiecki sandstone. It has multiple floors that go around in a circle with delightful banisters.

Above all, it was dubbed The Pearl of Żeliszów, as it survived the Second World War. It was abandoned after this area became a part of Poland in 1946. Dereliction and abandonment of many places occurred after World War II.

Pearl of Żeliszów

Decay set in rapidly due to the fact that no one was left to care for it. Also, the inside has almost been completely destroyed from the elements. Once filled with an upper balcony, pews and arching windows all of that is now gone.

Furthermore, as it becomes re-modified it is slated to be used as an arena for cultural events, concert, films and photo-shoots. The roof has now been replaced. More renovations continue to the ruins of this great church. Lastly, it lies 62 miles from Wrocław.

Where is this beautiful church located? You can find this church using these coordinates. 51.187978, 15.635744.

Pearl of Żeliszów

Featured image by Aneta / Wikimedia Commons.

Image 2 by Groundhopping  Mersburg / Flickr.

Photo 3 vintage photograph from before it was abandoned in the later 1940’s from twojedziedzictwo.

Final image from Google Maps Street View.

See more like this under Churches!

Copyright 2018 Abandoned By Men. Thank you for viewing and check back for more! About Us // Privacy Policy - Terms of Use // Contact Us