Abandoned Synagogue Constanta

Abandoned Synagogue Constanta

Residing in Old Town the abandoned Synagogue Constanta is cradled by the streets near the Black Sea.

abandoned synagogue Constanta

This place of worship was still in use till the year 2000. Quickly after its abandonment it was ransacked and emptied by vandals and thieves. In Romanian it is : Sinagoga Mare din Constanța. It is located along 4 Strada Petru Rares, Constanta County, Romania.

abandoned synagogue Constanta
abandoned synagogue Constanta ornament

The edifice was designed by architect Adolf Linz. The abandoned Synagogue Constanta was built between 1911 and 1914.

abandoned synagogue Constanta
Transylvania 1868.

It was also known as Ashkenazic Great Synagogue, the Sinagoga Mare din Constanța, Synagogue of the Ashkenaz and Grand Synagogue of Constanta.

Three of the four walls are damaged. Furthermore, the roof is missing at spots and all the windows are busted out. This structure has fallen into extreme disrepair. Plants are even growing inside of and through the building.

abandoned synagogue Constanta

The synagogue was stylized with Moorish influence orginating from the 700’s. Intensely beautiful with smoothly done columns.

abandoned synagogue Constanta

Inside, the three floors have cracked and in some spots crumbled away entirely. Anything of value has long since been stolen away. Also, neighbors have even put dogs in the back to guard the forgotten place. Iron gates keep the back side closed while the front doors remain locked.

Finally, the Constanta synagogue has an unknown future.  Although, it seems that complete collapse and utter abandonment forever is probably at stake.

You can find this Synagogue with these coordinates. 44.174467, 28.656728.

abandoned synagogue Constanta

Images were used with permissions from

See more abandoned churches!


The Pearl of Żeliszów – Abandoned Protestant Church

Pearl of Żeliszów

The Żeliszów Kościół zabytkowy (Żeliszów Historical Church in Polish) or The Pearl of Żeliszów is located in Gmina Bolesławiec in south-western Poland. This area once was a part of Germany and known as Giersdorf.

Pearl of Żeliszów

First of all, this Protestant church was built in 1796 by architect Carl Gotthard Langhans. He was a Prussian master builder and royal architect. The church was designed in Neoclassical architecture.

It has also been slowly receiving renovations over the past decade, the roof has been replaced and windows boarded up and the foundation inspected.

Pearl of Żeliszów

The Pearl of Żeliszów

It was styled in an elliptical shape and measures 66 by 98 feet. The bell tower was added in 1872 by architect Peter Gansel using bolesławiecki sandstone. It has multiple floors that go around in a circle with delightful banisters.

Above all, it was dubbed The Pearl of Żeliszów, as it survived the Second World War. It was abandoned after this area became a part of Poland in 1946. Dereliction and abandonment of many places occurred after World War II.

Pearl of Żeliszów

Decay set in rapidly due to the fact that no one was left to care for it. Also, the inside has almost been completely destroyed from the elements. Once filled with an upper balcony, pews and arching windows all of that is now gone.

Furthermore, as it becomes re-modified it is slated to be used as an arena for cultural events, concert, films and photo-shoots. The roof has now been replaced. More renovations continue to the ruins of this great church. Lastly, it lies 62 miles from Wrocław.

Where is this beautiful church located? You can find this church using these coordinates. 51.187978, 15.635744.

Pearl of Żeliszów

Featured image by Aneta / Wikimedia Commons.

Image 2 by Groundhopping  Mersburg / Flickr.

Photo 3 vintage photograph from before it was abandoned in the later 1940’s from twojedziedzictwo.

Final image from Google Maps Street View.

See more like this under Churches!

Copyright 2018 Abandoned By Men. Thank you for viewing and check back for more! About Us // Privacy Policy - Terms of Use // Contact Us